Truths about the lifting/training world

1. Luke says:

what are your thoughts on static holds with heavy weight?

great observation about 5×5. i was institutionalized with that for way too long.

2. Luke says:

Oh and release the program already!

3. Doug says:

“5×5 programs are unnecessary torture.”

Could you elaborate on the reasons for this? Thanks.

• Jay says:

3×5 is better for novices… better recovery, better results and leaves more room for other stuff like sprints, bodybuilding work, conditioning, etc. which is a must in any solid strength and conditioning program. If you want to just lift without worrying about leaving room in the tank for other work, by all means do 5×5, but I’ve known a LOT of people who burnt out quick doing 5×5 for an extended period of time.

• Doug says:

Thanks. Your insight is most helpful. I was looking for strength and conditioning programs for my sons who were just starting out. I found the 5×5 program first and later I found Starting Strength. I didn’t find any discussions regarding their differences. By the time I found Rippetoe’s work I had already started them on the 5×5. I’m doing it with them so I get first hand experience how it works. Being 50 I assumed the recovery issues I was running into as I increased the weight on my lifts were age related and due to me not being in top conditioning.

• Jay says:

I don’t think a 5×5 program at 50 is a wise choice for starting out. Recovery will suffer for sure. Starting Strength is a 3×5 program, so its a much better choice for a novice lifter IMO.

• Doug says:

I’m actually doing fine. I’m not a novice, but I’m not a pro. I’ve been working out to some degree more or less since age 13. In college my workout partner and I did pyramid routines and such. Those workouts were more body building oriented, at least that’s what we thought. As for now, the squat is becoming taxing at 315lbs on 5×5 and it is a full squat not a squat above parallel. I think the 3×5 would help my recovery which is borderline for a MWF schedule. Know any good sources for strength training at 50+? (it’s not just about my kids anymore *grins*) BTW I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my queries.

• Jay says:

I am sure it is taxing… I would google Charles Staley, he’s an older lifter, like yourself, and he will have a wealth of information to choose from.

Email KCBB